MacPaw, developers of the popular Mac utility CleanMyMac 3, has released a huge update to another one of their utility apps named Gemini. Dubbed Gemini 2, it has undergone some big and meaningful improvements so Mac users can find duplicate items and files much more efficiently. For those unfamiliar with the original Gemini program, the application allows users to find duplicate documents, pictures, videos, apps, and other files on their Mac to free up storage space. In addition Gemini 2 also works with iTunes and Photos libraries to ensure there’s nothing unnecessary stored in either program. Here’s a full list of what’s new in Gemini 2:
- The app spots similar files in addition to identical duplicates: similars are not 100% identical files, like duplicates, but they have so little difference that a user might consider some of them redundant.
- Tells differences between files by more than 10 parameters: the app analyzes file names, creation and modification dates, extensions, locations to ensure accuracy and precision in results.
- Works with iTunes and Photos libraries: Gemini 2 helps get rid of unnecessary retakes of the same picture or different formats of the same song.
- Applies Smart Selection algorithm and becomes self-learning from a user: Smart Selection algorithm remembers rules for files removal, learns and applies the experience to next sessions. With every next session, Gemini becomes smarter and more precise in automatic selection of duplicates.
- Removes files safely and can recover them: Gemini 2 accurately selects duplicates for removal and if it has any doubts, it leaves the decision to a user.
- Restores the previous session: a user can retrieve the previous scanning session and get back to it without starting a new scan session.