As noted yesterday, Pebble Technology took the wraps off its next-generation Pebble on Tuesday. The company calls it Pebble Time and the biggest difference is a brand new color e-paper display, a welcome change from the previous black and white display. The device also features an on-board microphone, is thinner than previous models, and runs a redesign timeline view.
In terms of design, the new Pebble is 20 percent thinner than its predecessor at only 9.5mm and can use any standard 22mm watchband. On the software standpoint, the Pebble team has revamped its user interface with glanceable information. The notification system has taken quite a change as well.
“You already plan your day around time, so it makes sense for your Pebble to be organized around the same principle,” says the team at Pebble. “Now your notifications, news, reminders and events are laid out chronologically instead of being trapped inside separate apps.” To access notifications, just click the middle button on the right side.
Just like previous Pebble products, the Pebble Time has great battery life. Boasting the same battery life as previous Pebble smartwatches with battery life up to 7 days.
The wearable works with any device that is capable of running iOS 8, which includes the iPhone 4S and above. Backers on Kickstarter will receive a watch with a special engraving. The watch is available in three different colors:
- Black watch case and silicone band with black PVD stainless steel bezel
- White watch case and silicone band with silver PVD stainless steel bezel
- Red watch case and silicone band with black PVD stainless steel bezel
The device will retail for $199, but early backers will get special pricing starting at $159.
Here’s the complete list of reward tiers:
- $159 – Early Bird: One Pebble Time watch in any of the 3 colors.
- $179 – One Pebble Time watch in any of the 3 colors.
- $338 – Two Pebble Time watches in any of the 3 colors.
- $845 – Five Pebble Time watches in any of the 3 colors.
- $1,690 – 10 Pebble Time watches in any of the 3 colors.
- $5,000 – 30 Pebble Time watches, 10 of each color.
The company doesn’t specify shipment times, but the watch will be available worldwide.